Saturday, August 11, 2007

Alive and Kicking!

So, I'm in America. And so far it's been nice. But let me start with the trip.

So, I didn't sleep at all the night before I left. I was just hugging Tarmo and cried. At 3 am we left from Tampere to Helsinki-Vantaa airport, sun was getting up when we arrived. We went to coffee and a leaving. I went to my gate and still cried though I got my self calmed I filled by the time I boarded. The flight was nice and though it departed late we arrived in time. I Dublin I went to check in where they asked where I'm going to stay and then I left to my gate. I found it easily and I had to fill some visa papers and lined to show them almost an hour. Then they said that I had the wrong paper, and gave me other one thatfter that I checked in. I went back to my parents and Tarmo to wait until it was the last time to go in. So we just sat there, we really couldn't speak much, everyone were so teary. When it finally was time to go to the security check, we all cried and it felt so badand went to other line closer the gate where they checked your visa, took your fingerprints and photo. The line there was huge an all people were nervous because no-one seemed to be prepared such a long waiting time. Someones flight should already been departed though I was fine. I didn't realize that they checked your visa before you leave to US, though it makes more sense that way. They only asked me how long I'm going to be in America, nothing more. I even had time to go to bathroom before we boarded. I still had to wait over an hour at the plane before it departed, there were 17 other flights we had to wait before we could go. The plain was so nice. It had the most comfortable seats I've ever seen in plane, pillows and blankets. There was TV and radio and wonderful food. Though I think that's how it is always in long flights. They had pasta and chicken, some bread, coffee, tea and drinks. Though I couldn't drink because I took travel sickness pills (which really worked I believe, I think I would've been much more anxious than I was now, especially the first few hours and in Dublin). Her name was Colleen and she was from Chicago. She was so nice, we chatted all the time, though not the time we slept (I really slept well like two hours). It was so comforting to hear that she could understand me well and that she thought that I spoke good english. :) We arrived Chicago an hour and a half late which was fine by me because I had originally seven hours time there. But it was too much because all the questioning and visa stuff was already been done in Dublin. And the airport wasn't even as difficult as I was told. I found instantly the right place to go, I even did the self check-in! I tried to go to the desk but there was some line and the airport guy said "You're young, you should use the self check-in, you can do it!" when I said I was worried that I couldn't do it. But it was easy and fast. After that I tried to find my flight from the boards but it was leaving so late that it didn't show anywhere. So I just walked a while, realized that there was nothing to see and proceeded to the security check. After that I walker around in the terminal and after I had walked it from the other to the other end, I realized that there were only food shops and restaurants, no cosmetics or other stuff I had expected. So I went near to the gate where my flight was supposed to leave (I kept receiving these messages which told me the flights gate and the changed like ten times). I walked at the terminal few times to stretch my legs and read a book. But most of the time I just looked people passing by and it was nice. Though after I had waited like three hours, I got bored. There would've been earlier flight but I realized that too late. Everything was really expensive so I didn't buy much, only something to eat and to drink. Finally my flight departed, 15 minutes late. The plane was really really small and there were only about 20 passengers. The plane was in Cedar Rapids in 35 minutes so I was there early. I found right away the shuttle service and they were ready to transport me when the other two passengers had arrived. They were a fresh couple, they were nice and asked me few questions and offered some chips but I was too tired to talk much. I just kept falling a sleep during the flight and ride. Finally I got to the hotel, checked in and got into my room. And here I am now. Just got my laptop in the internet (though I gave me a good jump, it wouldn't start at first at all, I took the battery off and now it's working fine) and my italian roommate Paola is sleeping. So, back to the last night. I send some messages back Finland and went right away to sleep. I cried a bit because I missed Tarmo but fell a sleep soon. I woke up at 8 am when my parents called me, though I already was half awake. We talked quickly and then I tried to call Tarmo but the lines to Finland were too busy. He had written me at night that he's happy I'm at the hotel and that I'm going to be safe here. It was so sweet that I almost cried (and do the same thing while writing this). I can't explain it but just felt so comforting.

So, the journey here went well and it was almost boring! Everything went so smooth and well. I had expected much worse. And I really enjoyed flying. The leaving is the best! Though my ears just keep popping. The hotel is nice and close to the places I need to go first. In the morning I went to shower (didn't know how to use it at first, same thing with the toilet). Then I went to eat some breakfast, got back to get my things and left to the Exchange Student Welcome Center where we were supposed to meet with Kaisa. She came a bit later than me, I took some papers, went to check my e-mail and soon we left to Coralville Mall. It's about 20 minutes from here by bus (which cost $0,75). I found two shirts and bikinis, a bag (not the dream one) and some essentials like shampoos etc. Then I came back to the hotel and Paola had just arrived. She was trying to get her laptop in the internet, but we couldn't figure it out what was wrong, I got my laptop in there right away (when it first went on). We chatted with Paola, and made plans (with Kaisa too earlier) to go to see some bar at the evening. So, that's were I'm about to leave, actually in 30 minutes, so I'll be off.

No comments: