Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Busy Busy

Okay, it's been quite a long time. I've been busy with all this orientation stuff and then I moved in to Mayflower, my new home and I thought that my network didn't work but it was my cable. And now I finally have some time to write again.

So, friend of mine, Kaisa, had to go to the hospital last Thursday night. But she got home yesterday and is feeling better already. And now I know where the hospital is and how it looks like. Nice one, and we heard that it is one of the best hospitals in US. In the lobby at the main entrance there was this scary piano that played it self. Like in the horror movies! But we had some nice time there, on Sunday I got Hello Kitty bandage to Kaisa to put on her stomach (and she said it helped a lot!), and the doctor had a good laugh about it (as did we). And I think that every time we left there, Kaisa asked for more pain medication because we made her laugh and it hurt in her stomach, sorry :D

And on Saturday we went to the Iowa State Fair and it was fun! In the morning it was raining but when we got to the Fair it was sunny and hot. We saw a butter cow and butter Harry Potter! And there were all these classic competitions about all the veggies, biggest pumpkin etc. Then there was a lot greasy food, EVERYTHING was deep fried, even ice cream (I didn't taste it). But I ate veggie corn dog, but I didn't like it. There were animals too and before we left, we saw a llama limbo contest! And Meike and I went to a sky glider at the amusement park and it was fun! We got back at 9 pm and went to bar with some friends. But we got tired pretty soon and went to sleep like 1 am or something. And the bus company that drove us at the Fair, sent the first bus to Texas because there is this hurricane and they need to evacuate people. So we got another bus when we got back.

On Sunday we packed our things and visited Kaisa again. On Monday we moved in, and that day was just a hell. First we had some sessions and I had my clinic (TB test was negative!), then we moved in, I just threw my stuff in and checked in because I was supposed to go to get Kaisas stuff too and our ISEP coordinator, Lori, was already waiting for me. So when we went to the Daum, we realized that the doors were locked and we couldn't get in. We went to Burge Hall to ask if we could have keys, but they couldn't give them because Kaisa still had her keys with her. So I said that I'm going to visit her anyway that day so I could get the key (additional night costs $5 and we agreed that she'd get her stuff into my room). So I walked downtown and waited for a bus half an hour, got to the hospital, waited for Kaisa half an hour (they were doing some tests to her) and then Lori came so I didn't have that much time to talk with Kaisa. When Lori left Meike called me, she and Paola went to Target to get a blanket, pillow and linens for me because I didn't have the time to get there (thanks girls!!) and said that they'd be at downtown in a half an hour. So I rushed to the bus, missed it, waited for half an hour and finally got to downtown. There we went (again) to Buffalo Wild Wings and even ate some dessert! Then we left home.
We were supposed to go to some bar to celebrate our moving in so while I was waiting my bus Dali called me (I had already waited half an hour... the buses really hate me and they don't go so often yet). He lives in downtown so he came to keep some company for me. After another half an hour I decided that the bus is never going to come and that I'll just walk home (we had just had a session with a police man that warned about walking alone et night, and it was already 9.30 pm). So Dali walked with me through half way and finally at 10 pm I was back home. And I was so tired! I still had to go to ask if my big luggage had arrived (the one that I sent via mail) and it was there! So I got it up, did my bed, talked with Ashleigh and finally got to bed. But it took some time to fall asleep because it was so cold. And on Tuesday I had to get up early because I had to take a shower (I was too tired to do that the night before) and I had some early tour. And I wanted to talk with Tarmo (we have a computer class downstairs). And I missed the tour because the bus never came (again!! but luckily I didn't miss anything, I was told that the tour was boring). So then I went to have some breakfast with Meike after our session about weather (nothing new), went to buy some stuff, headed back home to unpack my stuff and get ready for the night. Before meeting the others downtown Ashleigh, Kaisa and I went to the Slater hall to see Meikes and Paolas new home. Then we headed to the Brothers and there we had a good time. It was $2 U call it (though not all was $2) and I had this blueberry vodka which was good! But then at 10 pm I got tired and Kaisa was already heading back home so I came with her (and we got a bus!).
Today I had my academic adviser appointment and I registered to most of my classes though I need to call to one of the instructors to ask her to register me to the course (graduate course). Then Ashleigh (my roommate), Kaisa and I went to Wal-Mart to buy some food, kitchen and cleaning stuff. But on our way we found out that it wasn't the Wal-Mart that had fresh food (which was the reason we wanted to go there) but I still spent $100. And I bought two shoes! The boots were $20 and the others were $7! We got a taxi back (only $10 for three) and we were supposed to to get some fresh food from downtown (there was some market today) but then the thunder storm came. So now here I am. In my new home, listening Tori Amos.

No comments: